Monday, November 23, 2009

Root beer week: tales of color palletes, moving, and anniversaries.


This week the baby is the size of a bottle of your favorite beverage -- I went with IBC Root Beer of course. Hair is growing on her head (perhaps) and so are her eyebrows! Her heartbeat is now strong enough to be heard with a regular ol' stethoscope, so I'll be interested to see if that's the route the doctor takes next week at our appointment.

The past week has been a lot of fun getting a little more prepared for the baby now that we know she's a girl. I had a bedding set tentatively picked out for either gender, but the more I thought about it the less excited I got about it. Then, searching through with Travis we found a set and fell in love with the colors:


We ordered a throw pillow to get a swatch of color to start getting paint colors together to paint. I'm usually not a decorative visionary, but I can definitely see this whole thing coming together. Plus, the Muppet stuff we've collected will fit right in with the green accent color. I think it'll be perfect :).

We also got to take a trip down to Springfield to help Uncle Adam, Aunt Molly, and Alex move into their new house. The following pictures accurately depict Alex's opinion about moving day:

All in all, things are going pretty well right now, pregnancy-wise. Being over my cold has made me so thankful to have the energy and voice to teach every day.The baby is starting to move a little more frequently, even though I still don't think she is "kicking" all that much. Maybe that means she will just be a polite young lady. Now that she's getting bigger and developing more of her personality, I'm anxious to start getting to know her little quirks - foods she reacts to, sounds that she likes, etc. We're both wondering if we will get a laid-back, chilled baby or if we will get one that is like her mother was.... I'm sure a part of Grandma Adams is hoping for the latter just for retribution, but we're definitely hoping for the exactly opposite of me when I was a baby!

This week has also brought on yet another set of things to feel so thankful for -- a huge support system of family that is so excited and invested in this baby's life before she is even born. And even moreso, a clean bill of health so far. A favorite student of mine that graduated last year had a baby girl last week, and she's not having an easy start. Travis and I visited her in the hospital last night. Scanning through that NICU room at the desperately hopeful parents sitting patiently next to their tiny, tiny babies put a huge lump in my throat. I admire her strength and tenacity as she sits there, sun up to sun down, staring at the tiny life in front of her and playing out a million different scenarios in her head of her baby's future. It's a seat I hope I never sit in myself.

Yesterday was also Travis and I's first anniversary. I can't believe how much our lives have changed over the course of one year. By the same token, I can't even begin to picture what we'll look like a year from now. Probably more tired. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment