Monday, August 22, 2011

Surgery #2

We took Eva in to get her tubes in and her adnoids out on Thursday. She was the 3rd youngest patient of Dr. Ragheb's that day, so we didn't have to arrive at the hospital until 8:15. The sleeping part was okay (although Eva was still up wayyy too early), but she couldn't eat or drink anything after 3 a.m. That part was pretty rough. She was such a brave little trooper through her pre-surgery exam, even though she hates stethoscopes and white jackets. We were surprised to see that Eva's 2nd cousin, Brady, was in the room next door getting his tubes in right before her. They were running a bit behind, so one of the nurses brought Eva a wagon to play in until they were finally ready for her at 9:30. Luckily her nurse had been playing with Eva and talking with her a bit, so when she took a turn pulling Eva in the wagon, Eva didn't think twice. She wheeled all the way to surgery without one peep of protest. Thank God.
The surgery took about 45 minutes and she was awake and back in our arms around 10:40. She was a pathetic sight to see -- her voice was hoarse and she refused to drink apple juice, so we were a bit concerned. Finally her nurse decided to bring her a popsicle to try, and she attacked that thing like it was some sort of contest. Her eyes were half open, her body was limp, but man were her little lips working hard. When the popsicle was done she immediately started wailing and her loving nurse brought her another. By the time we left we had a re-energized and sticky little girl that was dyed Oompa Loompa orange.
The rest of Thursday was largely spent napping. We watched Tangled as a family when she woke up, which is the first full length movie we've ever seen her pay so much attention to (goin' on the Christmas list!) and she fell asleep for the night about an hour and a half earlier than usual.
Friday morning she woke up super cranky and super cuddly, so I had a hard time leaving for work. Nothing hurts more than having to walk away from your hysterical child with both arms outstretched for you. But Travis assures me she calmed down right away and she was off to spend the day with Grandma. She was quite the trooper with Grandma too, although she slept a big chunk of the day there too. By nighttime, she and Grandpa were running around eating Reeses Pieces and exploring the addition as usual.

If there is one thing I have tried to take from this experience, it's that I need to remember to be thankful that she is happy and healthy at times when I am annoyed or frustrated by her overwhelming energy. Holding her in that hospital chair, I would have given anything to hear her suggest an activity or even crack a devious smile. That has to be the moment I remember at times when I am ready to pull my hair out when she is attempting to see out the window by climbing on a rocking chair or banging on the door for another outdoor adventure. That child is one to be cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment