Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Day One (quite literally)

Well, we just found out that a little one is on the way a few hours ago. After a near constant nagging by Angie all weekend, I started to wonder if it was possible that I was, in fact, pregnant. I've been feeling faint lately and getting tired mid-afternoon for no reason at all. So finally yesterday I braved up and went through the line with a test in hand. The look on the clerk's face was one that will be remembered: a mixture of hope, sympathy, and happiness. I'm sure the look on my face didn't help her much as to which she should be showing.

I wasn't sure how to feel about the possibility. Travis and I have talked about having a baby quite often, more and more in the recent months. But we were thinking a few months down the line, not now, not this point in time. Regardless, I knew I needed to know.

So this morning I took that test I've seen so many take on T.V. Travis and I sat on the couch waiting for the two minutes to pass. Finally the time came and Travis rushed in, looked down at the test and smiled. "Looks like you're pregnant to me." Even after looking at the test myself, I couldn't really wrap my mind around it. A million thoughts were flooding through my mind and I wasn't exactly sure how I should be feeling. Excited beyond belief. Full of love for my husband. Scared enough to pee again. Nervous for the months ahead. Wondering what the hell I'm supposed to do now.

I shook off the shock enough to call the doctor and set up a blood test to confirm. Travis, being the amazing husband he is, was more than willing to accompany me (and drive because well, I was still a bit shaky). In a matter of minutes we were in and out and on our way back home. The awesome nurse at the office put the test on the fast track to get the results to us asap. They said it'd be a four hour wait, but two hours later -- at 12:58, in fact -- they called with the news.

"I think -- I mean I hope -- I have good news for you, Sara," Barb the nurse said.
"Yeah?" I said. Stupid I know, but that's all I could give her at the moment.
"It is confirmed; you're pregnant!"

I thanked her a few times, said a few more stupid things, managed to make an appointment to come in the next day and hung up the phone. Again, the millions of thoughts rushed through my mind. But then, a steady, calm, and reassuring glance from Travis washed it all away. His face was beaming and his eyes danced. A long hard hug in the middle of the living room was all I needed. A baby is coming. I am excited. The rest will work itself out.

No comments:

Post a Comment